by James Rada, Jr

May 1923, 100 Years Ago

Boys’ Pig Club Formed

A boys’ pig club, the fifth in the county, was organized at Lewistown Tuesday night with the following officers: President, Conrad Graybill; vice-president, Russell Henry; secretary, George Palmer; local leader, Merle Ramsburg.

Six members were enrolled and two others who could not attend sent word they wish to be included as members. The meeting, held at Lewistown schoolhouse, was attended by a number of boys and several fathers and mothers.

                                – Catoctin Clarion, May 31, 1923

Purchased Broom Factory

The property of the Emmitsburg Broom Company, located at the southern edge of Emmitsburg, was sold at sheriff’s sale last Saturday to Dr M. A. Birely of Thurmont. This property consists of one-third of an acre of land and a two-story frame factory building 30×70 feet, containing broom-making machinery.

We do not know the doctor’s plans, but we hope he may see his way clear to move the plant to Thurmont.

                                – Catoctin Clarion, May 31, 1923

May 1948, 75 Years Ago

Bodies Of Vets Being Returned

The bodies of two Washington County area war veterans are being returned to this country aboard the Army transport, Albert M. Boe from the Pacific area.

The ship, docking at th San Francisco, will bring the bodies of: Pfc. Guy F. Robinson, Marines, next of kin, Mrs. Charlotte M. Robinson, Williamsport, Route 2, and Cpl. Gordon L. Pryor, Army, next of kin, Samuel P. Pryor, Thurmont.

                                – Hagerstown Morning Herald, May 17, 1948

Reporters’ Notebooks

Bob Ludwig thought it was just another camera enthusiast when he posed for a photo with his big trout caught at the Jungle Cocks annual gathering the other Saturday at Big Hunting Creek near Thurmont.

Then the cameraman identified himself as Pete Chambliss, who writes the popular column “Fisherman’s Luck,” which appears each Sunday in the Baltimore Sun. He told Ludwig to read the Sun the next day, which the local fisherman did and found himself featured in the column.

                                – Hagerstown Daily Mail, May 22, 1948

May 1973, 50 Years Ago

Official Opening Of Community Park Slated For This Sunday Afternoon

The Emmitsburg Community Park will be officially opened Sunday, May 6, 1973.

The dedication ceremonies will begin at 5:45 p.m. with Burgess Richard Sprankle, County Commissioner Donald Lewis and Parks and Recreation Commissioner E. Eugene Myers officiating. The official flag raising will be conducted by Boy Scouts from the Emmitsburg Troop.

At 6 p.m., the Emmitsburg Patriots and Freeman Shoe will meet in the first game to be played in the Northern Maryland Fastpitch Softball League. The game will be broadcast live on Radio Station WTHU.

                                – Emmitsburg Chronicle, May 3, 1973

Art Work Of Catoctin Students Accepted For Display At Museum

Three students from the art department at Catoctin High School have had their work accepted for a show at the Baltimore Museum of Art. The 1973 Young Artists Talent Search is sponsored by the News American and is being held in conjunction with their 200 Bicentennial Celebration. The public exhibition will be held at the Baltimore Museum of Art, September 16-30, 1973.

The exhibit includes approximately 120 pieces of art representing three categories: fine art, commercial art, and photography. Students from Anne Arundel, Carroll, Frederick, Baltimore, Howard, Harford, and Washington counties were eligible to compete for a spot in the show.

The theme for this year’s show is “Our Many Views of Maryland.” Sandy Koontz, 16, is the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Charles Koontz of Emmitsburg. Her presention was a wood cut print of a log cabin in the mountains. Cynthia Warthen, 17, is the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. George Warthen, also of Emmitsburg. Her presentation was a water color of the mountains in spring. Robert Schildt, 16, is the son of Mr. and Mrs. Robert Schildt of Thurmont. Bob did a photograph taken in Detour during the flood.

                                – Emmitsburg Chronicle, May 31, 1973

May 1998, 25 Years Ago

Mayor Clarifies Action In School Proposal

The most recent meeting with the Frederick County Board of Education held on April 20th was attended by Emmitsburg commissioner Phil Postelle. It became apparent from the discussions that the Emmitsburg request to begin to bring middle school students back to the community would be defeated. In order to keep the issue open Commissioner Postelle decided to withdraw the proposal before a formal vote was taken by the BOE.

This move was a strategic withdrawal. We will continue the campaign of “Give us back our kids.”

                                – The Emmitsburg Regional Dispatch, May 1998

Emmitsburg Citizens Memorial

The new Emmitsburg Citizens Memorial will be unveiled on Memorial Day as part of the Phase II kickoff in the Community Park. The Nature Trail will encircle the memorial and will consist of beautiful plantings from the Emmitsburg Garden Club. A rest area to sit and enjoy the wonderful view of the mountain and the memorial itself will be provided.

The first three citizens to be honored on the memorial are the late David L. Copenhaver, Gregory A. Hollinger and Thomas L. Topper.        

                        – The Emmitsburg Regional Dispatch, May 1998

Share →