Currently viewing the tag: "memorial park"

On Monday, September 11, 2023, the Thurmont Lions Club will commemorate this somber day in Memorial Park, beginning at 6:30 p.m. Chief Charlie Brown of the Thurmont Guardian Hose Company will be the speaker, and Mr. Steve Hess will provide special music.

Scout BSA Troop 270 B&G, Venturing Crew 270, Cub Scout Pack 270, and Girl Scouts of the Nation’s Capital will be doing the opening flag ceremony, in conjunction with the American Legion Post 168, AMVETS Post 7, Maryland State Police, Sons of the American Revolution, Daughters of the American Revolution, our local Emergency Medical Service (EMS) and Fire and Law Enforcement personnel. Please attend the 911 Memorial ceremony to support those who were affected and are still being affected by this event.

Memorial Day is traditionally known as the official start of summer. The first Memorial Day was celebrated in 1865, known as Decoration Day, established to recognize the fallen soldiers of the Civil War. After World War II, the name was changed to Memorial Day to remember and honor those who have died while serving our country. 

In 1971, The National Holiday Act moved Memorial Day to the third Monday of May to provide a three-day weekend. Today, many civic organizations, Veterans of Foreign Wars, AMVETS (American Veterans), The American Legion, and Knights of Columbus keep with tradition and celebrate Memorial Day on May 30.

Annually, the Thurmont American Legion Post 168, in conjunction with AMVETS Post 7, Voiture Locale 155 40/8 locomotive Chewy, and the Town of Thurmont, hosts a ceremony to include a guest speaker and a wreath laying to honor our military from each War/Conflict at Memorial Park. Memorial Day is about honoring our military that have given the ultimate sacrifice for our freedoms

Girl Scout Troop 37191, Cub Scout Pack 270, BSA Scout Troops 270 B/G, Venturing Crew 270, and Christian Service Brigade provide the the flag ceremony, honoring this year’s Memorial Day Ceremony. Courtesy Photo

The Town of Thurmont and the Town of Emmitsburg alternate years on hosting a flag retirement ceremony.

This year, the ceremony was held at Memorial Park in Thurmont, hosted by The American Legion Post 168. After folding hundreds of flags, to include a large Criswell flag (pictured), the Scouts lined up to properly retire our nations colors with honor.

Scouts BSA Troop 1011, 270B & G, Cub Scout Pack 270, Venturing Crew 270, and Girl Scout Troop 81178.

Emmitsburg residents, we need your help! Please join Emmitsburg for the third Emmitsburg Volunteer Community Clean-Up Day on Saturday, September 8, 2018, from 9:00 a.m.-noon. Volunteers will pick up and dispose of loose trash and litter from the parks, roads, and alleys in the downtown Emmitsburg area. Meet at Memorial Park (just behind the Post Office) at 8:15 a.m. for a light breakfast and to organize into teams. Plastic bags, gloves, and garbage pokers will be provided. Cleanup begins east of Seton Avenue on both the north and south sides of Main Street, working towards the Silo Hill/Main Street intersection (where the Jubilee shopping center is located).

We had great first and second Clean-Up Days. Thanks to all the volunteers who picked up well over 100 pounds of trash and litter. This is simple hands-on work that needs to be done to help keep Emmitsburg a beautiful community. If you have a passion for your community and a little extra time on September 8, please come out for the third Emmitsburg Volunteer Community Clean-Up Day.


by James Rada, Jr.

When the men of the Thurmont District of Frederick County began returning home from World War I, they were feted with a parade through Thurmont. People lined the streets to see their returning heroes. They cheered, and they cried.

In that, Thurmont was not unusual. Just about every town in the country celebrated its returning soldiers from The War to End All Wars.

It wasn’t enough for Thurmont, though. Some citizens realized that those who had given the most weren’t there to march in the parade. Eleven men from the district had died in the fighting of World War I.

Rosa Waters, whose son James died from Spanish Flu while serving in the military during the war, led a community group that wanted to create a lasting memorial to the town’s servicemen.

The Grimes Estate donated a piece of land on East Main Street for a memorial park. Ground was broken in the spring of 1922, and “The work of transforming the meadow into Memorial Park was begun and there will be no let-up until it is finished,” reported the Catoctin Clarion.

Committee members began soliciting donations for the landscaping and construction work of the park. More than $3,000 was raised (around $44,000 in today’s dollars), which more than paid for the initial expenses of the park.

On Armistice Day 1922, a parade that included Veterans and students from Thurmont High School marched through Thurmont. “The town was in holiday attire for the occasion. Flags were displayed from every business place and private home, many of the private homes becoming elaborately decorated with the national colors,” the Frederick Daily News reported.

The parade passed under the stone arch that marked the entrance to the park. Hundreds of citizens watched the parade pass and then followed it to the park.

The speakers and special guests sat on the rostrum, which had been built from native stone. Surrounding the rostrum were eleven scarlet oaks that had been planted in memory of the young men who had died in the war. They were: Louis R. Adams, Murry S. Baker, Benjamin E. Cline, Edgar J. Eyler, William T. Fraley, Roy O. Kelbaugh, Jesse M. Pryor, Clifford M. Stitely, Raymond L. Stull, Stanley M. Toms, and James S. Waters.

The park also featured four bronze tablets, three of which had names of Thurmont Veterans inscribed on them. The widow of Lt. Edgar Eyler, who had died in the war and for whom the Thurmont American Legion was named, unveiled the tablets.

The Frederick Daily News reported that “Frederick County’s first memorial to war heroes and the first in the state it is said, was dedicated with appropriate and interesting ceremonies at Thurmont Saturday morning.”

One of the speakers at the event was Folger McKinsey, the “Bentztown Bard.” He told the crowd, “You have paid more attention to Armistice Day than any other town in the state; you have great reason to be proud of yourselves.”

He also read a poem inspired by the event that was published in the Baltimore Sun a few days later. It read in part:

And they shall turn and read these carven names,

And they shall see again the battle-flames,

And tell again the story of the strife

And gaze again as if across the seas

To those old fields of Flanders and Argonne,

The poppied fields, the shattered Picardy,

Belleau and Meuse – and be so glad that we

In our own time of golden memory,

Looking beyond the tumult and the wave,

Have planted here this tribute to the brave,

The true, the fine, the noble and the fond!


George Wireman noted in his book, Gateway to the Mountains, “Although the memorial was a community project, it did not officially become a part of community property until November 11, 1928, when it was turned over to the Town Commissioners and accepted on behalf of the citizens, by Mayor Frank L. Cady.”

The park continues to serve Thurmont today as a memorial to its sons and daughters who serve in the Armed Forces.

The undated photo is believed to be from the end of WWI, but it may show the original arch entry for Memorial Park.