by James Rada, Jr.

August 1921, 100 Years Ago

Tied For Second Place

Thurmont easily won Saturday’s game from Emmitsburg by a 11 to 2 score. The visitors drew first blood when they shoved one run across in the second and the locals, in their half of the same inning, retaliated by putting three runs over and from then on it was smooth sailing. Fox, the visitor’s premier pitcher, was touched up for 14 hits, just double the number secured off him on July 4th. Annan’s playing in left field deserves special mention. The main feature of the game was a fast double play by the “three Creeger brothers,” Ed to Roy to John. Thurmont feels that this victory is sweet revenge upon Emmitsburg for their defeat on July 4.

                                          – Catoctin Clarion, August 18, 1921

Bridge Afire

The long bridge known as the trestle spanning the second mountain gap above town was set afire early Monday afternoon, supposedly by one of the large locomotives. It was discovered by Dr. Bernard O’Toole, who happened to be passing by.

The Trestle is built of wood and has upon it several barrels filled with water. Dr. O’Toole emptied one barrel on the fire, but to get to the second barrel necessitated his going through the fire. This he did, suffering some slight burns and singed hair. After emptying the contents of the second barrel on the fire without extinguishing it, he went to the night watchman’s shanty, broke open the door and telephoned the train dispatcher in Hagerstown. He was just in time to stop a long freight at Highfield, the first telegraph station west of the bridge.

                                          – Catoctin Clarion, August 25, 1921

August 1946, 75 Years Ago

Farmers Field Day And Picnic At Rocky Ridge on August 14

Plans have been completed for the Southern States Cooperative annual meeting and Farmers Field Day and picnic at the Rocky Ridge Park playgrounds on Wednesday evening, August 14. The recreational program will begin at 6 o’clock with the business of the annual meeting set to begin promptly at 8 o’clock.

                                          – The Frederick Post, August 10, 1946

30 Scouts Camping At Weishaar Farm

Thirty members of the Emmitsburg Boy Scout Troop are encamped in a tent village about four miles north of the borough on the Weishaar farm near Fairfield.

Large tents have been constructed for the kitchen and other establishments while smaller tents are being used for the sleeping quarters for the youths.

                                          – Gettysburg Times, August 8, 1946

August 1971, 50 Years Ago

Hagerstown Firm Names As Architect For Remodeling Of Emmitsburg School

At their last meeting, the Frederick County Board of Education appointed the Hagerstown firm of Bushey and Burrey as architects for the new Emmitsburg School. The first has been instructed to commence planning the project immediately with the planning to be completed by July 1, 1972.

The $971,700 project at Emmitsburg involves replacing the oldest section of the building built in 1923 with a new structure and renovation of the present gymnasium wing.

                                          – Emmitsburg Chronicle, August 12, 1971

Giant Cabbage Grown Here

Roland Sanders of Lincoln Avenue, Emmitsburg, grew this giant head of cabbage which weighed in at 13 lbs., 2 ounces.

                                          – Emmitsburg Chronicle, August 19, 1971

August 1996, 25 Years Ago

Funds Allocated For Flood Damage Repair

The June 19th “Flood of the Century” caused damage extensive enough for federal officials to name three flood-damaged sites around Emmitsburg to be among the first to receive funding for clean-up and repair. Funds from the Emergency Watershed Protection Program will be used to repair the streambanks to protect homes at the intersection of Annandale Road-Hampton Valley Road and Crystal Fountain Road.

                          – The Emmitsburg Regional Dispatch, August 1996

Seton Center Day Care Comes Under New Management

After nearly 26 years of service to the children and families in the Emmitsburg area, the Daughters of Charity announced in early July they would no longer be running the Seton Day Care Center. Due to the shortage of Sisters and for economic reasons, the Province has decided to enter into a lease agreement with an outside company for running the Day Care Center. This will ensure the continuation of a service that has proven so valuable to the people of Frederick County.

          Mr. Alfred Opack, owner and operator of three full-service Child Care Centers in Poolesville and Frederick, will assume the responsibility for the Seton Child Care Center as of September 3, 1996. It will be renamed the Emmitsburg Child Care Center.

                          – The Emmitsburg Regional Dispatch, August 1996

Share →